BioMelbourne Network - achievements
Our members get results - So why not join them?
BioMelbourne Network is the peak industry forum for leaders in the biotechnology industry in Victoria.
In four years we have attracted more than 180 member organisations, helped to generate over 300 partnering meetings, presented more than 120 influential networking and trade development events, as well as facilitated deals that have brought in excess of $170 million to the Victorian biotechnology sector.
Business Opportunities, Leadership Forum, Industry Information, Trade Access.
The Network is industry led and industry responsive, with more than 180 member organisations, and is actively engaged with all the main players in the Victorian Research, Academic and Business Services sectors. The Network's members represent almost 40% of the market capitalisation of the ASX Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology & Life Sciences index, and more than 40% of NH&MRC funding for 2007.
The Network facilitates business development and commercialisation, both locally and internationally. Over the past 4 years BioMelbourne Network has presented more than 140 networking, trade development and member CEO Forum events, with a total attendance in excess of 14,000 industry leaders and decision makers.
In this same period the Network also managed 6 inbound and outbound trade delegations that liaised with Europe, USA and China, and resulted in over 300 partnering meetings. These events and delegations have led to commercialisation and deal creation, such as deals worth over $170 mill from the September 2005 biotech business delegation to China and the 2004 ChemGenex partnership with UK pharmaceutical company Vernalis.
Strengthen your network, broaden your knowledge, find a business opportunity
The Network is actively engaged with the Victorian biotech industry through its events and its regular communications channels. The Network reaches CEOs, Directors and senior managers of the Victorian biotech industry with:
- 150 senior industry managers regularly attend the Network’s monthly BioBreakfasts
- a monthly BioMelbourne Briefing newsletter to 2,200+ senior biotech managers who directly request subscription.
- an information focussed Website and Member Intranet (a member communication and business referral tool) – individual website visits of more than 3,000 per month;
Demographics of BioMelbourne Briefing readership.
The BioMelbourne Briefing provides direct inbox access to more than 2,200 senior management contacts in the R&D, biotech, pharma and business services sectors, with a repeatability factor of 10 issues per annum.
R&D University, Hospitals and Research Institutes - 24%
Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical - 23%
Business services, legal, accounting, consulting - 45%
Government - 9%
Our website is experiencing more than 3000 individual visits per month with approx 75 - 80% from Australian commercial users and 15 - 20% from US commercial users, with the remainder of traffic a mix from Asia, UK and Europe.
In addition to the business development, networking, business referral and industry promotion activities, the Network has delivered a range of Member deals which deliver real cost savings.
- Biotechnology Insurance – full suite of company insurance requirements. (member pricing on broking advice and potential savings on insurance costs);
- Competitive Intelligence and Advisory Services - a programme of member deals ranging from 30% discount on PharmaDeals, up to a 40% discount on Thomson Pharma, and significant introductory discounts on MedTRACK and Datamonitor reports and services;
- Professional Development and Training – a range of commercialisation BioWorkshops on relevant management issues (intellectual property management, contracts management, regulatory compliance, governance…) delivered by senior partners and practice leaders form member business services firms; The Network has also negotiated member deals for programs from industry training providers. (member discount up to 20% off);
- International conference and deal making event registration (member discount up to 25% off) – BioPartnering Europe, BioPartnering North America, BioSquare;
- Domestic conferences, commercialisation workshops and partnering events - member discount up to 25% off.
- Risk management solutions - a 30% member discount on RISK360 software
The Network will continue to deliver a program of sponsorship opportunities as a service to members.
Bio21 joined the BioMelbourne Network on behalf of its Members to ensure that we were plugged into the key biotechnology network in Melbourne.
Dr Stella Clark, CEO, Bio21 Australia
The BioMelbourne Network Breakfast presentation given by Vernalis CEO Simon Sturge on M&A activity in the European biotech sector was an excellent opportunity for us to follow-up on prior contacts. These meetings have resulted in the signing of a $2 million partnership between Chemgenex and Vernalis.
Dr James Campbell, Vice President of Operations, ChemGenex Pharmaceuticals Limited
Fosters is deeply committed to the farm gate, the production of barley, the production of premium grapes. The BioMelbourne Network provides Fosters with regular opportunities to tap into the biotech community, to policy makers, to be in the know, to pick up opportunities and to discuss common interests we can share with others.
Dr Peter Rogers, National Manager Research, Foster's Australia